Shamanic Apprenticeship 2013–2014
Thank you for your interest in our 2013-2014 Shamanic Apprenticeship. Below you will find detailed information on what other apprentices have said (this will give you a good FEEL for what you can expect), the programs content and offerings, expectations, fees and how to apply. When you read, pay attention to how it feels, including if you feel "called" or if the information falls flat. That is your best indication about whether to go forward. Also listen to the sound recordings on our "about" link to learn more about my work as a shaman and shamanism in general.
Apprentices Have Said
“I have been a practitioner for over 25 years. In that time, I acquired many skills to support my clients in their personal growth and healing of the physical, mind, and spiritual bodies. Although the work was powerful and life changing for them, I felt we could only go to a certain point. I always felt there could be so much more but was unable to access what that could be. By becoming a part of this Apprenticeship, I found the key component that was missing during those many years—the deepest part of a healing process—a way to work toward healing the Soul. This has been an amazing personal journey for me as well. A discovery of so many ways I, too, could self-heal by working with journeying and experiencing the monthly one-on-one sessions with Robin. I would recommend this class to anyone who is called to go deeper into the healing process, both for themselves and as a way to gift their clients.” –Wendy W.
“Robin as a teacher, mentor, soul-friend and example of how to be in the world is unparalleled. Her knowledge of shamanism and it's applications in contemporary life is an on-going inspiration… it's almost like the world itself is re-birthed for you because, when trained to look with your 'new' shamanic eyes, everything is changed forever and the beauty, meaning of symbols, and love for the Universe is deepened. Colors become more vivid, every interaction becomes full of possibility. With Robin's guidance and teaching, the tools you gain for self-inquiry, healing and awareness of your place of service in the world become truly empowering. The women of my tribe are now friends, sisters for life. They are amazing, supportive, loving creative souls that I will never, ever forget. The lack of judgment, mutual respect and shared magic, wisdom and dreams have enriched my life in ways I knew were missing, but did not know before how to fill the void ~ or if it was even possible. Once example of how the apprenticeship gave me a healing: I was once terribly plagued by night terrors, awful dreams that left me as an adult with lights on all night and it was so hard to be myself and stretch out into who I am as a loving presence in the world because of the paralyzing fear. Robin's journey for me ended this reign of terror. She closed the door to the nightmare realm and ever since I have been gaining in confidence, clarity, awareness and connection with Spirit that grows all the time." –Jenn P.
"Robin Rice is a teacher, a mentor, a blessing… she always pushes her students… she possesses the innate ability to meet each student where they are, encouraging them to meet their next personal challenge. How can I express this? Robin is: 'Integrity, Real, and Wisdom Beyond Her Years.' It has been my honor to have been fortunate enough to have found her and work with her."—Laura P.
“I got chills reading about the apprenticeship –I knew I was called—and it thrilled me to be accepted. Yet, I had no concrete idea of what to expect. The personal transformation aspects are, as I've learned, not the point in the larger picture. However, I cannot think of any other period of my life where more growth and transformation has taken place, and on a grander scale, than what I have experienced under Robin's tutelage. As I've been immersed in all that's been offered, I sometimes wonder if I'm "getting it" or growing in the ways expected. Then, I pause and review the coursework, my personal records of this journey and most importantly, myself. What I find is astounding in both the sheer volume of what we've covered and in the differences in who I am. Gaining the ability to honestly, objectively and clearly SEE myself is a true gift and speaks to the tremendous growth available from this process. From a place of true wonder and appreciation on my own personal path, I now feel more whole and alive than I dreamed possible, seeing life and my part in it through a new lens. Frequent synchronicities and seeming improbabilities coming to fruition are my new "normal" and I enjoy developed relationships with guiding forces. I am deeply grateful for what's been shed, returned, refined and inspired in me during this shamanic apprenticeship. My path to heal and help in a larger way becomes more illuminated and defined with each passing day.” –Suzanne W.
“Robin is a shaman, teacher, awesome woman, and the answer to prayers. In the short period of time of this apprenticeship I have made quantum leaps. She is gentle when needed, playful and tough – a “Baba Yaga” figure for sure. In all of this there is a deep respect for the Sacred within and without all of us. I hate the clique “I couldn’t have done this without you” and sometimes we have to eat our words. Spirit answered my prayers and I know I couldn’t have done this without her mentoring and steadfastness in her Truth.” –Teri C.
“Working with Robin Rice as my Shaman and taking this apprenticeship has changed life as I knew it. Imagine having a large beautiful puzzle on the table and you have put it together again and again, yet no matter how much time and attention you have given it, no matter how many masters you have sought, no matter how much you have followed Spirit's call...the image remained fuzzy and unclear. Then, with Robin's guidance and instruction, her encouragement and holding, I learned more and more about myself and my Shamanic call and abilities. Pieces of the puzzle shifted. Some left the table. Others were replaced. There were those that finally fit together properly. Ultimately, the image is clearly defined and beautiful! I feel more myself than ever before. No longer do I hold any sense of anxious unfinished-ness. No longer am I uncomfortable with the pause or the summons to plunge in. Now the perspective I hold on life and its lessons makes sense. My guides and allies are an important part of my daily life. My energy feels focused and intention filled. The work is challenging at times, the path twisting and the questions intriguing. AND the teacher is wise, the community is amazing, and the truth revealing. Living life embracing the Shaman within me has revealed to me a beautiful and exciting masterpiece I call my Life.”–Lisa M.
“… this apprenticeship is full on and VERY deep. I went through feelings of doubt, despair and fear, as I thought I wasn’t good enough to be on this path, but there was a pull to be here. As the Apprenticeship progressed so did I. There were moments of true epiphany, the tools and rituals and shifting were all amazing and not just gifts for me, but gifts I could give to others and make a difference in all of our lives. I am truly grateful to have Robin as a mentor, teacher and guide as her depth and wisdom is out of this world.” – Manni K.
“This apprenticeship has brought me to a place within myself that is complete, alive and full of unlimited possibilities. Robin has the ability to speak to me where I am and at the same time direct me to where I want to be. It is pretty amazing that Robin can accomplish that with a large group who, although we are learning the same thing, are all on individual paths with different abilities. The group of apprentices has connected in such a way as to extend and enhance the learning process. We are supported by Robin and by each other.” Donna T.
“As an apprentice working with and through Robin’s impeccable guidance and amazing, living example, I have been called and opened to a new way of seeing, a new way of being…a new way of dreaming… but really, not so new. I’m remembering what has always been available at a soul level. It’s about reconnecting with every aspect of me (gold and sludge, touchable and intangible) and to the energy of ALL that is. This is a calling to be a bridge with an unshakable foundation for myself, others, and ultimately the Greater Good. I am opening to seeing this life (patterns and symbols) not just from a “traditional” angle but through the infinite, unexplained and magical avenues that are only beginning to be discovered. Exploring this craft of storytelling, traveling to the essence of the dream via the path of surrendering to guidance of Spirit allows for gentle shifting, nudging, artful movement and stillness to make new meaning. That is the walk of this Shaman.” –Sandra P.
What this Apprenticeship Offers
As a shamanic teacher, it is my intention for each apprentice to gain: a solid knowledge of how contemporary shamanism is practiced today; an understanding of and practical skills for offering healing work (depending on where you start, and how it goes, you may not be ready to “hang out your shingle” in this short a time, but you will be well on your way and fully prepared for when you are ready); an understanding of your own “shamanic identity” and calling; a protocol to use when helping others; an experiential grasp of the worlds-behind-the-worlds work that is needed in order to create the “body double” that can walk in two worlds (or more); and personal healing through sacred ritual so that you bring true wholeness of self to the work.
In specific, we will work with:
* Healing the Fragmented Soul Through Soul Retrieval Journeys–this is the classic soul work all shamans do. Medical doctors work with the physical body, energy healers work with the energy body, and psychologists work with the mind. Shamans work with the soul directly, which then has a trickle down effect on all areas of life.
* Understanding The Role and Calling To Be A Contemporary Shaman–what does it mean to be a shaman in these troubling times? What are you agreeing to in taking on the “mantle” of shaman? What role in specific are YOU called to? What does it mean to refuse the call? How do we work with others in our life that may not understand? Where does this work fall into the many priorities we have in our contemporary life?
* Understanding Layers And Levels of Reality–We will explore and grow our own “cosmology” of those who travel beyond this world, with a focus on the realms of the animal spirit guides, the star people (I am a star person and much of my shamanic work is through the “upper worlds”), mythological and angelic beings, and any others that present to us. We will also open ourselves to exploring non-time-and-space-bound dimensions, “races” and conscious energies.
* Understanding and Development of a SIGNIFICANT Relationship with a few Spirit Guides–Over the 9 months, we will work with a specific divination card deck as well as a wide range of upper, middle, and lower world guides so that you may find what resonates most with you.
* Development of intuitive gifts and divination skills–this includes the “Seeing” and “Hunting” skills every shaman needs to recognize and read omens and other messages.
* Shamanic Counseling Skills–the skills of “translation” from the spirit world to this world are perhaps the most delicate and difficult to master. We “counsel” those we work with, yet must do so without creating further drama in which to get lost. As you “travel” through many journeys with me, you’ll understand how this is practiced and refined.
* Traveling into and out of the Dream Time–our dreams are critical to this journey. Even if you are one who does not “remember” your dreams, you will seek to tap into this rich resource. Dream work will be part of your one-on-one work to “decode” and use as a jumping in point for your life journey.
* The Role of Culture–the contemporary shaman faces many obstacles in a culture that values the linear mind and rational thought processes. We will learn to navigate this through our own mind as well as that of others. We will work with issues of self-protection, levels of disclosure, and more.
* Ritual and Healing with Sacred Objects–the shaman does not only work with the journey state to heal, but also with sacred objects that help with the “heavy lifting” of the work at hand.
* The Creation and Holding Of Sacred Space & Connection–using sacred objects, gifts, rituals at the ocean and before the fire, the creation of sacred tools and more.
* Psychopomp–working with someone who is nearing the end of life, not conscious or of conscious age (young children or the yet-to-be-born), and those recently crossed over is important work. In our one-on-one time, we will have a “channeling” session with your ancestors and others who have more recently crossed over.
* Personal Healing–This apprenticeship will offer you personal healing, but that is not our first intent. Our first intent is to help you become effective seers, healers, and shapeshifters who are able to walk in more than one world of reality. We intend to become “master storytellers” (another way of saying shaman) and much of that work is in letting go of story, not fixing it and thus fixating on it. We will work to develop your natural gifts and each apprentice will be unique in their own expression.
What You Can Expect From Me
In addition to lessons, discussions and chat times, we will have one-on-one sessions once per month. Keep in mind as well that a great portion of the work I offer will be done “behind the scenes” as I help clear and light the way for your shamanic path. This, along with sharing my actual working notes and experiences, is what separates a “class” from an apprenticeship. With a monthly sacred fire (Earth and Fire) on your behalf, a monthly ritual at the ocean (Water and Air) on your behalf, and the private mentoring/journey sessions each month (The Fifth Element), my intention is to prepare your soul to take on and/or “remember” the multi-dimensional aspect of you that can walk in more than this ordinary reality. These efforts are offered on your behalf, however it is up to Spirit, your guides, and your chosen soul path as to what results will come of this work. Your efforts are incredibly important, but ultimately, the work will depend on the readiness of your soul and the soul path you have chosen.
Our online discussion group through facebook will include audio, video, and written lessons created by me as well as other shamanic teachers I respect. In addition to written discussions, we will have online chat times at least once a week (shifting times to meet the demands of many schedules) except for the weeks when we are having one-on-one sessions.
I will also help you as you chose and work with your own “public person” and “world cause,” which we will track over the full 9 months in order to apply what you learn towards healing the world. It is wonderful to see the effects of your work!
We will also have a “water cooler” for sharing with your fellow tribe members whatever is coming up for you, and this develops a cherished relationship among the tribe members (even for those shamanic “loners” –what shaman is not a loner in some way?—who never thought they would enjoy that. See our section on what this years apprentices say about the apprenticeship to learn more about that.)
As a working shaman in my own community and with others across the globe, I will be taking private clients and sharing actual intake and session notes. This is the best way to teach the shamanic healing path, as the energy can be transmitted through the details of the work. I will also be sharing some of the journeys I do for each of you (with care not to share details that are too personal, nor offer names) when examples will benefit the whole group.
You will also have access to my previous year’s apprentices who will help guide you as part of their practicum experience. This is a great resource for you!
Keep in mind that there is an enormous amount of trust that will connect us, and while you may not “feel” all the work being done (sometimes you will, sometimes you won’t), the cumulative effect is what we are going for. Nine months is a VERY short time to work together in this way, and I know from experience that many things will seem to “blur” before becoming fully clear. Yet I trust this work will truly be life changing—with seeds planted that will bloom long into the future.
Finally, something worth noting is that as a shamanic teacher, I am a minimalist (for example, I use far less ritual than many shamans today.) In addition, I tend to be less “hearts and flowers” and more direct. My shamanic nature is that of a warrior, and while in the background there is much love, I may SEEM either aloof or pointedly serious. And if you saw me on the street, you’d see just another woman living her life! I say this because my role is not going to be one of personal “therapist,” and my intention MUST be powerfully clear for us to do this work over a distance and over a short time.
Schedule, What is Expected of Apprentices & Fees
* We will work together online from September-June with five weeks off, including the weeks of Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas and New Years, with three other weeks to be determined at a later date (mostly when I am traveling).
* We will meet for private sessions (60-120 minutes each) once per month at set times.
* I will be available online for discussion at minimum of four days a week, most often Monday-Thursday. This will help me balance my shamanic life and human life! You may, of course, do your coursework at any time, and all posts will be read and responded to in due time. I do not expect you to be online every day, but at least 3 days out of 7 most weeks is a good rule of thumb. Reading what others post also has value to your learning, as we are also a “collective” learning group. Again, those days can be whenever works best for you.
* Each week we will have online chats on the private page. I’ll have one-two per week listed, with different times each week to accommodate the most schedules. All chat transcripts are offered so that everyone has all the information covered, even if they cannot attend the chat.
What Is Expected Of Apprentices:
* Participation in discussions is NOT optional, however if your work is too personal in nature, you are welcome to simply state that you have read the material. What I need is to know you are energetically WITH US, as my work is more difficult if I can’t easily “find you.”
* We will have journey partners and it is important that you show up to the work you will do together. This will be assigned by me, but with exact times to be arranged between you, so plan to be proactive in “making it happen” and do not be hard to be in contact with (communicate if you will be offline) as your partner’s growth is connected to yours, and vice versa.
(NOTE: The rate for the 2013-2014 year has not yet been determined. Please check back in the summer of 2012.)
Payments can be made monthly or in one sum with a small discount. Please understand that in enrolling, your space is reserved for you, and others cannot take your place at a later date. Thus, you are committing the full 9 months of payment.
Payment is truly an energy exchange. Thus it is IMPORTANT for me to say that if you don’t have a known access to this financial commitment at the start, it is best that you don’t join us, as your energy will be going toward finding/manifesting money, and there will not be sufficient energy to put towards this truly immersive apprenticeship.
In addition to these fees, we will have one book of required reading each month.
How to Apply and A Final Word
How To Apply:
We have 12-18 apprentices per year, and in our most recent apprenticeship class the roster was filled four months in advance. Thus, if you are interested, please apply early by writing email@example.com. In your email, let me know of your interest in the apprenticeship, including any prior experience you have with shamanism, and any mutual friends/teachers/etc… and anything else you think I might want to know.
If you appear to be a good candidate, we will schedule a phone or skype call to discuss the program. After this, I’ll then ask us both to take it to Spirit to be sure it is the right relationship. Sometimes, I am not the right teacher, even if the path is right for you. I want to be sure we are both solid with our commitment, as the teacher takes on much responsibility with an apprentice, and the student offers much in return. If we both get a “yes” you’ll be asked for one-month deposit upfront to hold your space.
A Final Word:
A final word about the description of our work... someone asked me about the direct path of Spirit Teaching and if a teacher is "needed" in contemporary shamanism. The answer is clearly no; for I myself never had a teacher in the way I am offering to guide you. The direct connection to your spirit guides is all you or anyone needs. You do not need someone else to do sacred fires or ocean rituals or soul retrievals for you to find your way –though it surely helps to be supported and many, many times I had wished I would have had a teacher on this plane. You can also rest assured I will never try to take over the role that is yours alone--to come to your own truths through the teaching of your own guides. I do not, and will not, ever attempt to take your power from you. I may "hold your feet to the fire," but if I do, it is only because you have given them to me to help you, not because that is my own agenda. If I did not have enough of my own personal power for my own life, I would not be a trustworthy teacher. Fortunately, I have all I need and then some. Additionally, I do not want you to become a "Robin Rice" shaman, nor is it up to me how far you come in our time together--that is up to Spirit, and my greatest wish is for you to become the shaman YOU are meant to be. To put it in a nutshell: In this apprenticeship, you will not be dependent on me, I will not accept that dependency, and your seat of power will always be your own. It is critical to make this distinction about power, guidance, and your soul's path before we go any further.